If you've having problems with your broadband or phone connection, it's important to try an isolation test. Devices that you have plugged into your phone lines can interfere with your broadband service, and an isolation test checks whether things such as the internal wiring of your house, a faulty ADSL filter, or another device is causing your problems.
Genius Users: You should try this test even though your other equipment no longer works through a phone jack. Just replace step 1 with unplugging your Genius and everything attached to it.
HOW TO CONDUCT AN ISOLATION TEST:
- Disconnect all private equipment plugged into a jackpoint e.g. double adapters, phones, filters, extension cords, fax machines, modems, Sky etc.
- Wait for at least 30 seconds to allow the line to reset.
- Plug the modem back in, without a filter, and wait for it to reconnect - if the lights labelled 'ADSL Sync' (sometimes labelled 'ADSL', 'Sync', 'WAN' or 'Broadband') and 'Internet'(sometimes labelled 'Online') light up, then your modem has reconnected.
- If your modem reconnects: then this means that your other devices or equipment are causing interference on your phone line. Plug your equipment back in piece by piece, checking the connection each time. When the problem returns then you have discovered the faulty equipment. Keep testing the rest of your equipment as well.
- If your modem doesn't reconnect: then the problem may lie with your jackpoint or phone cable. Try a different cable, and if that doesn't work, then try the other jackpoints in your house, still checking the connection each time
If you discover a piece of faulty equipment, it will either need to be replaced, or may simply require a new ADSL filter.
If the test so far hasn't located the problem, try checking the following equipment too:
Modem: The best way to test your modem is to take it to someone else's place and plug it in there. This will confirm whether or not the problem lies with the modem. If you have tried all the jackpoints in your home with no success, but your modem works elsewhere, then you may have a wiring issue. Please contact us at https://www.orcon.net.nz/request_support.
Filter: Try another filter or connect the phone or modem directly to the jackpoint to see if it makes a difference. (Filters should not be used for customers on the Genius plans as only your modem should be plugged into the jackpoints, nothing else.)
Third Party Devices: If you have a device connected in between your modem and computer, remove this and connect the computer directly to the modem.
Computer: If you do have another computer, connect it directly to your modem via the LAN/Ethernet cable and see if it makes a difference.