How can we help?
- How do I get the best speeds from my Fibre connection?
- How do you perform a trace route in Windows?
- What are upload and download speeds, how do they differ?
- What Programs can impact my Internet Speeds
- How and why should I do a ping test?
- What speeds can I expect and what affects speed?
- What do internet speeds mean?
- Will you slow my connection down?
- Why does my speed on UFB sometimes drop?
- How and why should I do a trace route?
- See more
How do I get the best speeds from my Fibre connection?
To get the best speeds from your fibre here are a couple of rules you can follow:
- To get the BEST speed on fibre you should plug directly into the Orcon Genius using an Ethernet cable.
- WiFi is convenient, but if walls, appliances and distance get in the way it starts to slow down. Read more about placing your WiFi router
- Use newer devices: If your modem is older, it may not have the WiFi technology or pure grunt needed to go fast.
- Fibre is designed to go fast on many devices, but it still has a max speed - so be aware when you're doing heaps of intense downloading that all other devices with in your home will be impacted.
- Use speedy services: in many cases, Fibre is much faster than some servers hosting content on the internet.- if you are downloading content from a server which is only capable of achieving 10Mbps, then the speed of your download will also suffer as a result.
Still have questions?